You know enough about the world to have a pretty good idea of what it will take to live the life you desire. Your brain can quickly give you an accurate picture of the person you need to become to create the change you desire. All you have to do is ask.
Once you have this answer, you can begin living as that person today. You don’t have to wait. You can think, act, and adopt the beliefs of a fit person, someone with a great social circle, or whatever type of person you are – the one in your dreams.
Look to the future to change your present with these strategies:
Look ahead and visualise the life you’d like to have. Imagine yourself 10 years from now living the life of your dreams. Notice how you feel and behave. Imagine how you deal with your average day. Imagine the income, physique, social life, relationship, and so on that you’d like to have.
- What do you eat each day? How much do you exercise? What type of exercise do you do? What are your attitudes and beliefs around diet and exercise?
- How much money do you make? How do you make it? What are your saving and spending habits?
- Think about your future social life. How many friends do you have? How often do you go out? Where do you go? How do you manage that social circle? How often do you communicate with them?
- If your ideal future includes a partner, how do you manage that? What do you do each day to keep your relationship strong?
- Consider the habits and hobbies you’d have, too.
Take a look at your current life and behaviour. Contrast the above with your current life. Take particular note of the differences in how you behave and think today versus your future self. What changes do you need to make?
List the behaviours you would like to incorporate into your life to match your future self. If you can think and act the same way, you’ll eventually attain the same results.
Begin making the changes. Start slowly and only make a couple of changes at first. You might decide to cut out the candy, go to the gym three times a week, and go out once a week with a friend.
- Or, you might decide to review your goals each night, keep a journal, and start meditating.
- Once the first set of habits starts to stick, add a few more.
Adopt a new mindset. When you’re faced with a decision or challenge, ask yourself what your future self would do in the same situation. Begin making decisions this way and see what happens.
Expect resistance. It won’t be easy to approach life with a new perspective and new behaviours.
- It will feel uncomfortable at first, but that’s good. When you do something uncomfortable, your life can change.
- When you do the things you’re used to doing, things stay the same. That’s comfortable, but that’s not progress.
Why wait 10 years to begin acting and believing a certain way? You can start right now and speed up your progress considerably. Imagine yourself living your ideal life 10 years from now and simply adopt the same habits, behaviours, thoughts, and beliefs. Success will come quicker than you ever imagined.